United Kingdom Prohibited and Restricted Items
FedEx Cross Border has prepared a global list of prohibited and restricted items that apply regardless of a shipment's destination. In addition to these global prohibitions and restrictions, individual countries or territories may impose further prohibitions or restrictions on the importation of certain items.
You can refer to the FedEx Cross Border global lists and the United Kingdom country-specific list to help determine whether or not your product is prohibited or restricted for shipment.
Country Specific List for United Kingdom
United Kingdom Import Prohibitions
- Flick and Gravity Knives; knives with blades that open automatically by operation of a spring device, or released by gravity or centrifugal force
- Indecent or Obscene Material
- Offensive Weapons such as belt buckle knives, death stars, throwing stars, and martial arts equipment, Pepper and similar sprays
- Counterfeit coins and bank notes
- Counterfeit or pirated goods
- Goods bearing false origin statements
- Goods infringing a trademark
- Goods infringing a copyright
- Lottery Material
- Prison-made goods
- Stamps (fictitious) including dies and plates for manufacture
- Video senders; equipment capable of transmitting video images
- Investigational Drugs
- Animal Hair and Wool
- All products containing the biocide dimethylfumarate (DMF)
- Non-perishable foodstuff weighing more than 10 kg to private individuals
- Products containing meat or milk products including Whey Protein for personal consumption
- Shipments subject to Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES)
- Live Animals (including insects, fruit flies/drosophila melanogaster and nematodes)
- Plants of Mangifera sp (Mangoes), Solanum melongena (Aubergine), Colocasia sp (Patra leaves), Momordica sp (Bitter gourd) and Trichosanthes sp (Snake gourd), originating in India.
- Hides, skins and apparel from the following animals: Castor Canadensis, Lutra Canadensis, Canis Iatrans, Canis lupus, lynx Canadensis, Felis rufus, martes zibellina, Procyon lotor, Ondatra zibethicus, Martes pennant, Taxidea taxus, Martes Americana and Mustela ermine are prohibited from certain countries.
Due to the risk of contamination with E. coli bacteria possibly linked to the recent outbreaks in Germany and France, the emergency measure prohibits with immediate effect the importation of seeds and beans from Egypt to all EU countries. The commodities are:
- Beetroot sprouts, radish sprouts
- Dried leguminous vegetables, shelled, whether or not skinned or split
- Fenugreek seeds
- Leguminous vegetables, shelled or unshelled, fresh or chilled
- Lucerne (alfalfa) seeds
- Lucerne (alfalfa) sprouts
- Mustard seeds, for sowing
- Other mustard seeds
- Other oil seeds and oleaginous fruits, whether or not broken
- Rocket sprouts
- Soya bean sprouts
- Soya beans, whether or not broken
- Sugar beet seeds
- Vegetable seeds
United Kingdom Import Restrictions
- Two kg of infant milk, infant food and special foods required for medical reasons can be imported under the condition that these products do not require refrigeration before opening and that they are packaged proprietary brand products for consumer use is acceptable per person. They will require a doctor's letter to substantiate the requirement. For anything over this amount a UK import license is required by consignee prior to shipping. Also specify if the feed is of dairy or soya based.
- Controlled Drugs
- Horror Comics
- Indecent or obscene materials, regardless of media; DVDs, CD, video cassettes, films, books etc.
- Radio transmitters (walkie-talkies, CB Radios, Cordless phones) not approved for use in the UK
- Rice (of U.S. Origin-Certificate of Conformity required)
- Cartridges larger than 500g by air cargo into, via or from the UK, unless they originate from a known consignor with security arrangements approved by the Department of Transport
Contact the FedEx Cross Border Compliance Team
Please note that these lists are provided as a reference only. For any questions about prohibited and restricted items, email the FedEx Cross Border Compliance team.